Delegate365 v9.2.2 allows to manager group owners. The permission policies have been extended and the current admin can add him- or herself or additional group owners for Security Groups and Microsoft 365 Groups. See a description of the latest features here.
- Enable (or disable) the manage owner feature: To enable the "manage owner" feature, you have to set the corresponding permission policies in the Groups - Security Groups - Manage owner from No to Yes, as here. Then, click on the Save button at the page end of the permission panel.
By default, this new setting is disabled. So, don´t forget to switch it on, if your admins shall be able to set the group owner for security groups (in the same way as for Microsoft 365 Groups). Once the setting is set, it will be effective for all admins that have that permission policy assigned. To learn more about setting permission policies, see here.
- Check the Manager owner permission: To modify owners of a group, the "Manage owner" and "Ownership" settings in the policy should look as here:
- Test it with Logout and Login: Note that the policies are applied, when a users signs in. If you modified a policy, the users must sign-out and sign-on again that changes take effect. Close the browser and open Delegate365 again.
Alternatively, the user can click on the Log Out menu in the user account menu, as here.
The user will be signed-out. After that process, the Delegate365 portal shows an info page. The user can click on the Delegate365 name in the top left corner to sign-in again.
After the successful sign.in, any modified policies are effective.
- Create a new Security Group and add users as owner: When creating a new security group with the "+" icon, the panel now shows the owner selection- The set owner section is only visible, if the permissions are set as above. The admin can add him- or herself with the "Add me as the owner of the security group" switch set to Yes. Additionally, the admin can select users from his or her OU´s as security group owner, as here.
- Modify the owners of a Security Group: When a group is selected, the menu on the right shows the Manage owner feature.
This opens the owners list, where new group owners can be added, or existing users can be removed.
Use the people picker to select new users.
A toast message shows the success of the operation.
Please note that the people picker follows the Delegate365 concept and shows only users that are assigned to an OU the admin is allowed to see. Admins cannot assign a user as an owner, that they are not allowed to manage (OU) or to see (Group OU).
- Microsoft 365 Groups: Microsoft renamed the "Office 365 Groups" to "Microsoft 365 Groups". We did the same in Delegate365. The menus and text now is named Microsoft 365 Groups.
- Create a new Microsoft 365 Group and add users as owner: The behavior for adding the current admin or additional users as owners of a new Microsoft 365 Group or Microsoft Team is now the same as for the Security Group.
- General note for adding owners: For Security groups and Microsoft 365 Groups, it is not required to set an owner. If you create a Microsoft Team (as in the screenshot), it is mandatory to assign at least one owner. As a result, Delegate 365 adds the current administrator as the team owner, even if the "Add me as the owner of Microsoft 365 Group" switch is set to No, but the "Team" switch is set to Yes. In addition, the owner must be assigned a Teams license, otherwise Microsoft 365 delivers an error that is also displayed in Delegate365.
To make it short, we recommend to add the current user as an owner of a group, or to add another owner in all cases.
- Message Trace modifications: The Mailboxes / Message trace function got updated and now shows a StartDate and an EndDate dropdown instead of the Date range dropdown that showed Past 24 hours, Past 48 hours and Past 7 Days. The new StartDate and EndDate Pickers allow to select a date between today and the last 7 days (from midnight to 11:59 PM). The default setting is to go back from today and display the last 3 days. This should make it easier to use. Also, the admin can now select the operator OR (only that was available before) and AND (that is new) to specify, if both conditions (sender an recipient), or just one condition must be met by the messages to be shown.
- Small fixes: This version also includes some minor improvements from the previous Delegate365 version 9.2.1, such as exporting users fix, improved performance for the users list and the latest PowerShell module update.
Delegate365 version 9.2.2 will be available for all tenants next Monday, June 21st. Happy Delegating!